WHERE DOES THE NAME FOR JACKSON SQUARE COME FROM?

Updated: Apr 30



Jackson Square has existed from the very first day that New Orleans has designated a french settlement.

Back then it was called Placed’Armes, keeping its name even after the territory of La Louisiannepassed to the control of the Spanish crown.

It was the place for the public executions of criminals and slaves. It was also one of the many places in the city where you could buy and sell slaves.

It was in the Place d’Armes that the Union raised its flag after signing the Louisiana purchase at the Cabildo. For this very reason, the square received the honor of National Historic Landmark in 1960.

The design we can now see was built in 1721, inspired by the Place des Vosges in Paris, France.

To idea to its name to JacksonSquare was born years after Andrew Jackson led the city’s creole troops as well as the Union’s to the battle of New Orleans in Chalmette on December 18th of 1814, the battle where in the 8th of January of 1815 he was victorious.

Years later, Jackson became the seventh president of the UnitedStates.

The name of Jackson Square was given in 1851, and the statue was erected in 1856, as a copy of the same statue in Washington, D.C. You can find the other 4 statues in the square, neo-classic representations of the 4 seasons.

The iron bars, walkways, benches, and Paris style decoration have been kept untouched from the original design by Micaela Almonester, Baroness de Pontalba, who also built the building surrounding the square.

It was in 1971 that the streets of Chartres, St. Peter, and St. Ann were closed to vehicular traffic, and a walking area was created where now a day you can admire artists selling their work, as well as people reading Tarot.

The place went from military and cruel square to the picturesque place known as the heart of the French Quarter.


#MetropoLatin,#AquienLouisiana,#NewOrleans.#Videoproductionsneworleans


¿DE DONDE VIENE EL NOMBRE DE JACKSON SQUARE?

Jackson Square ha existido desde los primeros días en que se designó a Nueva Orleans como un asentamiento francés.

En aquel momento se le llamó Plaza de Armas y retuvo el nombre aún cuando el territorio de La Louisianne paso al poder de la corona Española.

En este lugar se hacían ejecuciones públicas de bandidos y esclavos. Era también uno de los tantos lugares en la ciudad en donde se vendían y compraban esclavos.

Fue en la plaza de armas que en 1803 se alzó la bandera de la Unión cuando en el Cabildo se firmó la compra de Louisiana. Por esta razón, recibió el honor de ser Monumento Histórico Nacional en 1960.

Su diseño actual fue construido en 1721 e inspirado por la Plaza de los Vosgos en París, Francia.

La idea del cambio de nombre aJackson Square nació años despuésque Andrew Jackson dirigiera a las tropas criollas de la ciudad así como las de la Unión a la batalla

de Nueva Orleans en Chalmette el 18 de diciembre de 1814, batalla en donde el 8 de enero salió victorioso. Años después, Jackson se convirtió en el séptimo presidente del país.

El nombre de Jackson Square se le fue dado en 1851, y la estatua fue erecta en 1856, siendo esta una copia de la misma estatua en Washington, D.C.

Otras 4 estatua se encuentran en la plaza las cuales son

representaciones neo-clásicas de las 4 estaciones. Las rejas de hierro, pasillos, bancas y la decoración al estilo de París

se mantienen intactos del diseño original por Micaela Almonester, Baronesa de Pontalba, quien también construyó los edificios Pontalba que rodean la plaza.

En 1971 se cerraron las calles de Chartres, St. Peter, and St. Ann al tráfico vehícular para crear una zona peatonal en donde hoy en día se pueden admirar a artistas vendiendo sus obras de arte, y a personas que leen cartas.

El lugar pasó de ser un centro para desfiles militares, ventas y ejecuciones de esclavos y prisioneros, al pintoresco parque que conocemos hoy el cual es el corazón del French Quarter.